e enjte, 14 qershor 2007

E-mail from Joe Klinger

Subject: Re: James Salisbury

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:49:53 -0400


Tiffany:


Thanks so much for remembering Jim Salisbury. I am so impressed with your high school project, and you were very fortunate to be assigned Jim Salisbury as he was an outstanding Marine. Even though it has been many years, I can clearly remember Jim. He was very nice and considerate of his fellow marines, and was extraordinarily brave in combat. I was his Squad Leader when he first arrived at our unit and he learned very quickly. He was later assigned to another squad, which was lead by a marine from California named Richard Skaggs. We were all very good friends and Jim became the assistant Squad Leader for Corporal Skaggs. Even though we were involved in combat much of the time, there would often be periods of time that we could relax and tell stories, laugh, play pranks on each other, etc. As such, we have many happy memories along with sad. After 11 months in combat, I was shot and recuperating from wounds in a military hospital in Japan, when I learned about what happened to Jim. I had only been away for about 2 weeks when Jim was killed. I understand he was shot by a sniper, then Corporal Skaggs ran to his assistance, and was also mortally wounded. Jim was always one to risk his life and run to the aid of his fellow marines. We all lost two great Americans that day, and I lost two good friends that I will always remember. Thanks for taking time and effort to honor such a great American Marine, who sacrificed his life for our freedoms. Young people like yourself, make us all proud to have fought for this country. I know Jim would be honored by your efforts, and, as such, he is smiling in heaven.


I would really appreciate a copy of your dvd. Pls send to me at 7312 Wentworth Drive, Springfield, IL 62711. I would be pleased to reimburse you for any expense.

Very respectfully, Joe Klinger, Sgt, USMC 1967-1969 and currently Captain, U.S. Navy (RC)

Nuk ka komente: